Did you know microwaves are 4 - 5 times more energy efficient than a traditional electric oven? According to "The Green Book" (Rogers and McDonough, 2007), if everyone in North America cooked using only a microwave, we'd save as much energy as the African continent consumes in a year.
As with most machines, a clean microwave functions best and uses less energy. So how do you green clean your microwave? It's easy!
- Fill a coffee mug with water and a few slices of lemon.
- Microwave on high for three minutes.
- Leave the mug inside for another three minutes.
- The steam softens caked-on food and the hot lemon will get rid of nasty odors.
- Carefully remove the mug and wipe the microwave walls with a rag to remove grime easily.