According to Better World Club, the average US domestic flight emits about 1,700 pounds of carbon dioxide per person and in an average year, a vehicle emits 10+ tons of carbon dioxide. Check out these easy ways to "green" your travel.
* Perform any necessary maintenance on your car including checking that your tires are properly inflated as this will also help to conserve fuel.
* Slow down; gas mileage decreases rapidly at speeds above 50 mph.
* Keep calm; driving aggressively wastes gas by 33% on the highway and 5% in town.
* Use cruise control to keep speeds constant.
* Rent a fuel efficient or hybrid vehicle.
* Travel at off-peak times to avoid traffic.
* Fly direct; carbon emissions are much higher during take off and landing.
* Pack lightly to reduce overall weight of cargo.
* Make sure to reuse your hotel towels and linens if they do not need daily cleaning.
* Turn off all lights and HVAC system when you leave your hotel room.
Check out CarbonFund.org carbon offset project to help fund actions designed to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Safe travels to you and your family!