* According to the CDC, oil of lemon eucalyptus is as effective as DEET for up to 6 hours after application. Look for a store-bought option or make your own:
- dilute 10 - 20 drops of pure oil of lemon eucalyptus by mixing it into your favorite moisturizing lotion or sunscreen
- fill a small spritz bottle with 10 - 20 drops and witch hazel
Be sure to test on a small area of your skin to make sure it is compatible with your chemistry and to wash off skin when you come indoors.
* Get rid of stagnant water near your home and make sure your grass and shrubbery stay trimmed.
* Place citronella candles throughout the areas you frequent to provide repellant and ambiance. You can also use an essential oil diffuser with a oil of lemon eucalyptus.
* Build your own Mosquito Trap:
1 cup of water
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 gram of yeast
1, 2-liter bottle
1. Cut the plastic bottle in half.
2. Mix brown sugar with hot water. Let cool then pour into the bottom half of the bottle.
3. Add the yeast.
4. Place the top of the bottle, upside down, into the other half of the bottle, taping them together if desired.
5. Wrap the bottle with the black tape, leaving the top uncovered, and place it outside and away from your normal gathering area.
Change the solution every 2 weeks for continuous control.